West Main Street was originally part of the eighteenth century Virginia Transportation Route known as “Three Notched Road” that connected Richmond and the Tidewater region to Staunton and the Shenandoah Valley.
As important as this section of Charlottesville was to the greater Commonwealth, locally West Main Street served as the main artery connecting the University of Virginia and the Historic Downtown.
Our location at 416 West Main Street was influential in this final transition to the automobile as it originally housed MacGregor Motors, a Lincoln dealership, whose automobiles date back to 1917.
The most recent chapter in the storied history of 416 West Main Street began with the opening of The Main Street Market in 2003. Inspired by the Ferry Building Marketplace of San Francisco, the Main Street Market is a collection of vendors who promote the concept of “Local, Seasonal & Sustainable.” With an emphasis on supporting local farmers and advancing the cause of ecologically conscience endeavors, the vendors of the Main Street Market continue to enrich the lives of the Charlottesville community by “preserving the integrity of the Local.”